Friday, December 27, 2013

Duke Initiatives in Theology and the Arts

Some people have asked me why I chose Duke Divinity School for my theological studies. While it is hard to narrow it down to just one reason, I would credit Duke Initiatives in Theology and the Arts (DITA) for tipping the scales overwhelmingly to the divinity school in Durham.

With my calling to help people worship meaningfully, I was drawn to the serious study and reflection on theology and the arts that is being championed by Jeremy Begbie and others. I happen to believe that humans are most God-like when they are acting creatively (which is not necessarily restricted to the making of fine art). God as Trinity is ultimately creative as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit interact with each other and with creation. We humans have been given a similar capacity when we were created in this image (Genesis 1:27).

DITA is most active on campus during spring semesters. I'm really looking forward to some interesting fora, concerts, and exhibits this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Manual for Personal Piety: The Book of Hours

Book of Hours manuscript kept at Harvard University People have always encountered God outside outside of the times and spaces designat...